The history of Saint-Gobain begins in 1665, when the French King Louis XIV awarded the financial man Nicolas Dunoyer and his partners an exclusive manufacturing privilege for mirror glass – with the aim of breaking the monopoly position of the Republic of Venice on the European mirror market.
Very soon the royal mirror glass manufacturer produced the revolutionary table rolling process. The main production site was in Saint-Gobain, a small village in Normandy.
Since 1684, mirrors from Saint-Gobain have decorated the Gallery of the Royal Palace of Versailles near Paris. Today, more than 300 years later, the company leads several segments of the global industry and it renews its purpose. In Brazil, diversity and inclusion are its main goals.